Wednesday, October 14, 2009
1. Which of the following does NOT raise HDL (good) cholesterol?
2.Which food below contains the most protein?
B)2tbsp Peanut Butter
C)1cup Baked Beans
D)1cup Cottage Cheese
3.True or False: Cholesterol-free crackers are a healthy alternative to baked potato chips
4.If you consumed one less tablespoon of sugar in your coffee each day without changing anything else in your diet, you would lose ________ pounds over a year.
5.Consuming low-fat yogurt has been associated with many health benefits. Which of the following is NOT one of them?
A) Protects against weight gain and type 2 diabetes
B) Reduces the risk of high blood pressure
C) Reduces the risk of osteoporosis
D) Aids in the metabolism of food into energy
E) Improves memory and concentration
6.Which of the following foods is HIGHEST in calories?
A.) 1/2 cup granola cereal
B.) 1/2 cup dried fruit
C.) 1/2 cup fried rice
D.) 1/2 cup regular ice cream
7.True or False: Meat, chicken, fish, milk, nuts, tofu, bread, cereal, pasta, and vegetables are all sources of protein.
8.Which of the following activities burns the most calories per 1/2 hour?
B) Watching TV
C) Preparing Dinner
9.Currently, what percentage of total calories in American diets come from beverages?
10. What vitamin can only be obtained by sunlight and supplements?
1. B- although Salmon does NOT increase HDL cholesterol levels, it is an excellent source of omega 3 fatty acids, which help to decrease inflammation in the body and therefore lower the risk of heart disease. Red wine, tofu, exercise, and a healthy body weight have all been shown to increase HDL levels.
2. D- 1cup of Cottage Cheese contains 30grams protein; 3oz of Steak contains 27grams Protein; 2tbsp of Peanut Butter contains 9grams Protein; 1cup of Baked Beans contains 14grams Protein. Meat, poultry, and fish are NOT the only food sources high in protein!
3. False: Just because a food product is cholesterol-free does not mean that it is healthy; it can still be loaded in fat and calories. Food products can only contain cholesterol if they are made with an ingredient of animal origin. However, fat can be present in both animal and plant-based products. Therefore, crackers are not necessarily healthier than baked potato chips. For example, 10 generic cholesterol-free crackers may contain 150 calories and 7.5grams of fat, while 10 baked potato chips may only contain 85 calories and 0.75grams of fat!
4. D- 5 pounds. There are close to 50 calories in one tablespoon of sugar. If one consumed 50 less calories everyday over an entire year (without changing anything else in their intake or physical activity) they would lose 5 pounds
5. E-Improve memory and concentration are not considered benefits of consuming yogurt. However, consuming yogurt has been shown to help protect against weight gain and type 2 diabetes, reduce the risk of high blood pressure, reduce the risk of osteoporosis, and aid in the metabolism of food into energy. These benefits can be attributed to the fact that yogurt is rich in calcium, riboflavin, protein, vitamin D, potassium and vitamin A, just to name a few.
6. dried fruit (260 calories), granola (165 calories), fried rice (135 calories), ice cream (130 calories)
7. True- 1 ounce meat, chicken, fish, nuts, or tofu (7gm protein), 1 cup milk (12gram protein), 1 slice bread (3gm protein),
3/4 cup cereal (3gm protein), 1/2 cup cooked pasta (3gm protien), 1 cup raw vegetables (2gm protein)
8. A-Vacuuming is the most calorie burning activity of the four listed. In a half-hour, a 150pound (70kg) person would burn 85calories vacuuming, 36 calories watching TV, 74calories preparing dinner, and 36 calories kissing. A good idea is to double-task and therefore double your calorie expenditure. If you are going to by lying around on the coach watching TV, you might as well be kissing someone in the process to burn an extra 36 calories!
9. B. Americans currently consume 20-30% of their total calories from beverages. It should be more like 10-15%. If those beverages are sweetened and calories taken in are not burned off, then the body stores them, and your weight increases.
10. C- Vitamin D-Five minutes a day outside of sunlight on your hands and face give you your daily amount of vitamin D needed.
Updated about a week ago · Comment · Like / Unlike
Write a comment...Tag people in this note
Type any name
In this note